Villaviciosa is located in the heart of the cider region (lacomarcadelasidra.com) on the Eastern Asturian coast and is conveniently close to the main tourist attractions of the province. The most important towns of the region - Gijon, Oviedo and Aviles (and airport) are not far away and an abundance of local beaches to be explored are near by.
The Northern Camino de Santiago (the Way of St. James) passes through the town and many important historic churches and monasteries can be found in the vicinity of Villaviciosa (www.turismonatural.net, www.asturias.es)
There are plenty of leisure options:
- Coastal fishing villages: Tazones, Lastres, Cudillero, Ribadesella.. (desdeasturias.com)
- Beaches (turismovillaviciosa.es)
- Hiking ( Sierra del Sueve, Picos de Europa)
- Canoeing, fishing, boating, diving ( Villaviciosa estuary, Arriondas)
- Golf (villaviciosagolf.com).
- Surfing (www.rodilesurf.com)
- Pre-Romanesque architecture and artistic heritage (elprerromanicoasturiano.com y monasteriovaldedios.com).
- Visits to cider factories
- Coal mines heritage (mumi.es y ecomuseominero.es).
Villaviciosa 0ld town
Picos de Europa
Oscar Niemeyer international art centre